I've suffered, but I've persevered. I've wept, but I've held my head up. I stopped living in a world of destruction and disaster and opened myself up to a more humble way of thinking.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Why Being Just "Nice" Will Get You Nowhere
The other day someone at work asked me, "Why are you so negative?" I looked back at the girl asking me, partially stunned by the remark, and asked in reply, "Is that a serious question? Why would you think that?" She said abruptly, "Have you ever heard what comes out of your mouth?" This has sat in my mind for 3 days now. You know the Dane Cook joke about brain ninjas and mental terrorists? Apparently this is one of those moments. I walked around asking people what they thought and I got the typical laugh except one person who asked me if I thought about why she would think that. Well, I thought about why she would think that and here it is. I'm real and I'm honest. Plain and simple. Although, still respectful, I don't let the fact that I might make someone angry affect me. People make me a little angry all day long with their ignorance and their cowardice; not their actions nor their words. I'm fully conscious of the world around me; its influences, its subtleties, and its mystery. I'm fully aware of the human potential and I've seen great things in my life. I haven't taken my time reading the bad news around the world and said to myself that I'm a nice person because I don't do bad things. What about the opposite? The people who have created, discovered, and rose up to a achieve a better life. These people got there how? By being kissed by the sun or having the easy life? No. They didn't. They broke down barriers, they got dirty, they stepped on toes, they got their toes stepped on, and they didn't resist. They had to do something so out of the ordinary that it seemed unreal, even impossible. It makes you think, Wow, what an inspirational story. But what makes something inspirational? Does it make you feel happy inside, or does this thing make you realize what you, as a human being, are capable of? What you have to do to be successful? I haven't compared myself to the negativity around me. I'm above that. I challenge the negativity and the abnormal. It gives me strength and it gives me power. To be a part of the changing world, to put your two cents in, or to make a difference? Count me in; I'm in the business of changing the world. So, am I a negative person? The answer is no. I deal with situations as they come. I call bullshit without a second thought. I pick up where others left off and continue. I push through and never give up. My emotions are worn on my shoulder as to say I have nothing to hide. Some people call me crazy for the things I believe in. But it works. Inside I'm pretty happy and sometimes it doesn't show that, but I am. I let some things get the best of me because I want those around me to see how passionate I am. That I have my own goals and I will never accept sub-par. They say no one is perfect, but it doesn't hurt to attempt perfection. Failing at perfection cannot bring you down. It should inspire you to work harder. It should bring out the best in you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, am I glad to have stumbled upon this. I will be reading your other posts and subscribing. I see that this was posted some time ago, I surely hope to read more form you soon.
ReplyDeleteI will most certainly keep it going, more often at least.
ReplyDelete